Saray: Blog 1 Speech Communications

Saray Blanco
4000177695


    As many of us we know about certain things our whole life without a doubt in our mind. Later to have someone or something fully explain and go into depth about topics we could have sworn to know everything about and fully get it after. Although I knew many of the topics and subtopics in these chapters the presentation really helped further understand. For example who were to even imagine sex and gender being two different things? As of forever I thought they were initially the same thing. Later to come and find out one means you’re a girl or boy and the other has to do with how you identify yourself or how you feel on the inside. The presenters did an excellent job explaining each topic. They did really well researching and getting comfortable with the material. Each group had great team work. I am in group 1 and my group had to read and write about chapter 3. As I talk about my own chapter and my own personal section. I’d like to also talk about, quickly summarize, and give you some feedback on what I’ve learned from and about chapter 9 and chapter 10.

    Chapter 3 was my group’s personal assignment. The chapter is about intercultural communications, it had to do with culture and what or how communication has to do with it, dominant and co-cultures and the relationships between them, 7 different ways in which culture differs, last but not least practice methods to improve intercultural communications’ competence. I wrote about race ethnicity and native language’s I didn’t learn much because I already knew about these topics but they helped me better understand. Race has become a controversial topic, the degree to which people identify with their ethnicity an greatly vary, and native language well says it all for itself it’s the language of someone’s ethnic background and or typically the language a person’s learns ever since the can speak.

    So far I’ve stated what I’ve picked up from chapter 3 now group 2 presented chapter 9 talks more about communicating in groups. This chapter goes more into depth about different types of groups for example families, social groups support groups, service groups etc. Also goes into characteristics of a group formed around constructive purposes and characterized by ethical goals, interdependence, cohesiveness, productive norms, accountability and synergy. Chapter 9 also goes into the stages through which all these different groups develop. And make use of strategies to manage group conflict effectively.

     Group 3 presented chapter 10 which has to do with group leadership and problem solving. This chapter explains how leader ship functions in teams, it describes and explains how to run effective meetings and engage in the six steps of systematic problem solving. It teaches you how to communicate group solutions in a variety of formats like written formats oral formats and virtual formats. Last thing this chapter teaches us or taught me at least was how to evaluate group effectiveness using key criteria.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tara's Reflection on the Chapter Presentations

Alex's Reflection on People's Moralities

Communication at its finest Jailene Estrada