First Chapter Presentation: Matthew's Reflection

     So, a couple weeks ago, we had our first PowerPoint/project for our speech class.  My group had chapter 3 of our textbook, which was based on intercultural communication.  It refers to the interactions which occur between people whose cultures are so different, that communication between them is challenging. I was in a group of nine people and we all had parts of the chapter, which we needed to talk about. I really like my group because we are not too picky, and we agree on almost everything we did on our project. We also have great communication and we always try to help each other anyway we can.  Overall, I think our first project went smoothly.  The way we divided it was by page, but two of us had to do two pages because there were twelve pages in the chapter.  To be completely honest, I was very nervous about my first project in this class. I returned to school after taking a semester off, so I really wanted to get back in the swing of things.  My jitters went away after the professor said, "I want more pictures than words on the slides." I feel that pictures help explain my topic better than words and it doesn't bore the rest of the class when presented.  My part of the project was to talk about page 40, which talked about intercultural communication and its potential barriers. 

     The most common barriers to intercultural communication are anxiety, assuming similarity or difference, ethnocentrism, stereotyping, incompatible communication codes, and incompatible norms and values.  Each country has their own beliefs, traditions, even food and which most people do not know.  For example, while many Americans might think eating dog meat is the most disgusting thing in the world, in Vietnam dog meat is considered a delicacy.  Also, when people travel from the United States to a different country, they expect to eat their hamburgers and fries and to be provided with rapid service.  They might even be annoyed at the fact that shops and restaurants are closed early in the afternoon.  The point is, everything is different no matter where you go.

     For my part of the project, I had two slides.  The first slide discussed the potential barriers on intercultural communication.  On the second slide, I had a two minute video of a scene from the movie “Outscored," which was a great way of explaining how those barriers play out in the real world.  The day my group had the presentation, I was a little nervous because I didn’t know if I had done enough for my part.  We were the first group to do the presentation, but I wasn’t the first to show my slides.  So, I had a little bit of time to calm myself and go over my slides.  The talking part went good, but when I went to play the video, the audio didn't work.  But even without the video, I think I made my point.  My group did a fabulous job and we ended up getting a good grade.  The overall experience was the way I thought it would go.  My group was helpful and we got to know each other a little bit.  I learned a lot about intercultural communication and what it consists of.  Overall it was a great learning experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tara's Reflection on the Chapter Presentations

Alex's Reflection on People's Moralities

Communication at its finest Jailene Estrada